I think it is fair to say that we all heard of Android by now, sure as hell we already know what Google is and its products. From the world’s #1 Web search engine to world’s #1 OS for smartphones in just a couple of years. ANDROID!
If you are living under a rock and you didn’t understand what is all this Android stuff, have no fear, I will try to break it down for you in the next few lines. Here are a few facts about Android:
- Android is a Linux-based operating system (OS), originally developed by Android, Inc. – a company which was later on bought by Google.
- The first Android phone was sold in October 2008, the HTC Dream.
- Android is an open-source OS, Google releasing the code constantly, under the Apache License.
- Android had a world-wide smarth phone market share, with 75% points, back in 2012, with 500 millions devices activated in total.
- Android, Inc. was founded in October 2003 by Andi Rubin, Rich Miner, Nick Sears and Chris White.
- Google took Android, Inc. into custody on August 17, 2005. Key employees of Android, Inc. remained at the company.
- Major releases are named in alphabetical order after a dessert or sugary treat (i.e version 1.5 was Cupcake, 1.6 was Donut etc.).
- First version of Android was 1.5 a.k.a Cupcake.
- Current version of Android is: 4.2.1, the very well known “Jellybean”.
Our team consists in Android enthusiastic fans, who are daily at the task to enjoy what Google created at first, but carried on by millions of people all over the world.
We are requesting all passengers to join us as we discover the Android experience at its finest!